March 2014

All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.

AUTHOR: Robert Bastille
AUTHOR EMAIL: bobb3712@gmail.com
AUTHOR URL:
SUBJECT: [Greater Hyannis Civic Association] Contact Us
IP: 71.101.57.13
Array
(
[Name] => Robert Bastille
[Email] => bobb3712@gmail.com
[Website] =>
[Message] => All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.
)

All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.

AUTHOR: Robert Bastille
AUTHOR EMAIL: bobb3712@gmail.com
AUTHOR URL:
SUBJECT: [Greater Hyannis Civic Association] Contact Us
IP: 71.101.57.13
Array
(
[Name] => Robert Bastille
[Email] => bobb3712@gmail.com
[Website] =>
[Message] => All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.
)

For your reference, viagra here is the editorial that appeared in the Barnstable Patriot last week regarding the Hyannis Fire Station – quite a tribute to the work the GHCA has done on this project, representing the interests of the greater Hyannis community.
All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.

AUTHOR: Robert Bastille
AUTHOR EMAIL: bobb3712@gmail.com
AUTHOR URL:
SUBJECT: [Greater Hyannis Civic Association] Contact Us
IP: 71.101.57.13
Array
(
[Name] => Robert Bastille
[Email] => bobb3712@gmail.com
[Website] =>
[Message] => All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.
)

For your reference, viagra here is the editorial that appeared in the Barnstable Patriot last week regarding the Hyannis Fire Station – quite a tribute to the work the GHCA has done on this project, representing the interests of the greater Hyannis community.
To all GHCA Members.  Would you like to take a more active part in matters which affect the neighborhoods, store
citizens, here businesses, and general quality of life in our community?  If so, join the GHCA Board.  We meet the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm in Hyannis.  There will be several openings on the GHCA Board of Directors starting in June.  Let us know your interest by sending an email no later than April 18th to  GreatHyannis@aol.com
All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.

AUTHOR: Robert Bastille
AUTHOR EMAIL: bobb3712@gmail.com
AUTHOR URL:
SUBJECT: [Greater Hyannis Civic Association] Contact Us
IP: 71.101.57.13
Array
(
[Name] => Robert Bastille
[Email] => bobb3712@gmail.com
[Website] =>
[Message] => All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.
)

For your reference, viagra here is the editorial that appeared in the Barnstable Patriot last week regarding the Hyannis Fire Station – quite a tribute to the work the GHCA has done on this project, representing the interests of the greater Hyannis community.
To all GHCA Members.  Would you like to take a more active part in matters which affect the neighborhoods, store
citizens, here businesses, and general quality of life in our community?  If so, join the GHCA Board.  We meet the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm in Hyannis.  There will be several openings on the GHCA Board of Directors starting in June.  Let us know your interest by sending an email no later than April 18th to  GreatHyannis@aol.com
To all GHCA Members.  Would you like to take a more active part in matters which affect the neighborhoods, drugstore
citizens, prescription businesses, and general quality of life in our community?  If so, join the GHCA Board.  We meet the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm in Hyannis.  There will be several openings on the GHCA Board of Directors starting in June.  Let us know your interest by sending an email no later than April 18th to  GreatHyannis@aol.com
All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.

AUTHOR: Robert Bastille
AUTHOR EMAIL: bobb3712@gmail.com
AUTHOR URL:
SUBJECT: [Greater Hyannis Civic Association] Contact Us
IP: 71.101.57.13
Array
(
[Name] => Robert Bastille
[Email] => bobb3712@gmail.com
[Website] =>
[Message] => All fire districts should be consolidated. Is anything afoot to get that ball rolling? Lets face it Hyannis covers the whole town and should be funded by the town.
)

For your reference, viagra here is the editorial that appeared in the Barnstable Patriot last week regarding the Hyannis Fire Station – quite a tribute to the work the GHCA has done on this project, representing the interests of the greater Hyannis community.
To all GHCA Members.  Would you like to take a more active part in matters which affect the neighborhoods, store
citizens, here businesses, and general quality of life in our community?  If so, join the GHCA Board.  We meet the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm in Hyannis.  There will be several openings on the GHCA Board of Directors starting in June.  Let us know your interest by sending an email no later than April 18th to  GreatHyannis@aol.com
To all GHCA Members.  Would you like to take a more active part in matters which affect the neighborhoods, drugstore
citizens, prescription businesses, and general quality of life in our community?  If so, join the GHCA Board.  We meet the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm in Hyannis.  There will be several openings on the GHCA Board of Directors starting in June.  Let us know your interest by sending an email no later than April 18th to  GreatHyannis@aol.com

GREATER HYANNIS CIVIC ASSOCIATION

EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING – Notes

March 11, ailment 2014

Attending: Chris Bartley, see Bob Ciolek, clinic Bill Cronin, Laura Cronin, Larry Decker, Debra Dagwan, Barbara Flynn, Alan Goddard, Dave Jones, Tony Pelletier, Brad Pfeifer, Kathy Strudwick, and Uta Quint

Excused: Deb Krau, Ralph Krau, Ed Mackay and Paulette Rio

 Absent: Joe Chilli, John Doherty, and Gloria Rudman

Guests: Lou Masiello and Kathy Leatherbee from W.S Development, the current tenant of the Cape Town Plaza, which they lease from the Town of Barnstable.

Our guests were invited to present first before we discussed GHCA business. – Mr. Masiello gave a presentation on W.S Development company:

  • He provided a brief history of their lease with the Town which they took over starting 2 years ago. They are the main Lessee and sub-let to the tenants in the store fronts you see.
  • The lease is set to expire in 2024, less than 10 yrs., which make it difficult for tenants to invest in property, or new tenants to enter into new leases.
  • He explained their long term interest in purchasing the land from the Town.
  • He presented ‘Before’ and ‘After’ examples of a few of their properties they’ve developed (Derby Street Shopping Plaza, Hingham, Legacy Place Dedham, and Mountain Farm Mall, Hadley MA).
  • They have approached the Town’s Airport Commission about their interest in purchasing, but have not received positive feedback for pursuing it at this time. The consensus they perceive, is they (Airport Commission) want to wait until the end of the lease expiration in 2024. Unfortunately, in W.S Development’s opinion, the property will be significantly devalued by then, and more than likely have a higher vacancy rate and a greatly reduced value.
  • Mr. Masiello made a point to say they are not asking for exclusive right to buy. Because the property is regulated under CH30B (which governs the way public agencies are required to sell town owned properties), as well as under the FAA Revenue Policy, it would require this sale to be a competitive bid process and anyone interested in the property can submit a bid once the decision is made to sell.
  • Their plan right now is to speak to local groups, such as GHCA, and other associations to gather support for Airport Commission to sell the property now, and to show others how that plaza can go from an eye sore to being a catalyst for resurrecting the rte. 132 corridor.
  • We asked what we could do to support, they said any letter or recommendation of support to the local decision makers, attend meetings where it is being discussed, encourage them to make the decision to divest of the property now, and not wait to 2024.

Correspondence:

  • E-mail from Robert Bastille – Accidents at South Street and High School Road
    • Bill said he called and invited Mr. Bastille to meet with the BOD, but he was not available. Bill forwarded his email to DPW Manager, Santos
    • E-mail from Growth Management – re: Main Street East End visioning
      • Meeting was held earlier that evening, at 5Pm; Bill provided update of the discussion, lots if ideas similar to the discussions we’ve had with the other neighborhood and streetscapes; but nothing concrete. GM Dept. will plan another meeting later on.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Membership Committee:

  • Membership committee – revised discount card costs – voted and approved to proceed with new style Brad is pursuing. Heavy stock business card sized and are significantly lower 250 = $46, vs. $375.
    • Discussed change in Annual Dues
      • Some wanted to increase to $25, to increase our revenues; others felt the $25 was too steep for some members. Concern was also made that if we increase, we might lose more members, we don’t seem to be making any progress in growing our membership;
      • A suggestion was made for us to come up with other fund raising ideas, and/or be more visible as helping the community in general (like cleaning up beaches), to get more residents involved, and interested in joining.
      • Motion made to increase to $25 was withdrawn,
      • Motion to leave at $20 – approved
    • Also approved committee to pursue corporate membership and sponsors

Fire Department Report:

  • Building Sub-Committee – Not available.
    • Discussed the successful turnout at the District meeting on 3/5/14; and the district’s ability to send the HYD Fire Commissioner’s a message, we need a fire station, just not this one.
    • The next HY Fire District meeting is 3/13 at the Fire Dept upstairs meeting room; it is either at 5PM, or 7PM, make sure to call ahead to confirm.
    • Bill encourages everyone to attend, so we can find out what the next steps are in the process.
    • Tony mentioned there are still legal options being pursued by some in the district, and proposed a motion to authorize the Board to allocate $500 to the GHCA Fire Dept. sub-committee to cover legal fees should they be needed.
      • Discussion was held trying to understand what the money was for specifically; it was not clear, and the Board was not in support of pursuing any legal activity regarding this issue.  Motion was withdrawn.
      • Bob Ciolek proposed the board reach out to the HYD Fire Commissioner’s and the Chief with a letter of support in working together on finding a resolution together. Motion was made to have GHCA Board send the letter, Bob offered to draft it and forward to Bill for signature; board approved.

Board Committee Assignments:

  • Bill handed out a list of current committee assignments, He asked everyone to look it over and come prepared to discuss which committees we should focus on, and a commitment to participate in.

Fund Raising & Business Membership – Brad Pfeiffer, Chair

  • Need to review GHCA by-laws to see if there are any restrictions in allowing businesses as members.

375th Anniversary committee –

  • Not sure when the next meeting is to take place.

Letters – Business and New Members

  • Paulette sent out her draft; any changes get to Paulette, – move to April meeting for approval.

NEW BUSINESS

  • Transit Center Redevelopment
    • Bill said nothing new  -do not know when next meeting is supposed to be
  • Hyannis parking Lots – South Street, North Street, etc. – Deb Dagwan
    • Deb D gave an update on her discussions with Mark Ells and GM Dept., notices for parking lot renewals went out in March, they expire April 5th.
    • Town staff will be monitoring the lots and enforcing non-compliance.
    • Working on new signage, directing visitors to the town lots, and new kiosks at Bismore Park.
    • Deb handed a couple of pages from the full report the Urban Land Institute Summary of Recommendations they made to GM Dept for Main Street patterns and parking solutions – full report can be found on the Town’s website.
  • Medical Marijuana District   (hold until May 2014)
  • Next General Meeting   (April, 22, 2014) need topic(s) location, etc.
    • Discussion was had on inviting the HYD Fire Commissioner candidates, Richard Gallagher and Peter Cross.
    • Provide some back ground on the five Fire District, educating the residents on how they came about and how they interact in the Town.
    • Laura volunteered to contact Town hall to secure the Selectman’s Meeting Room. Proposed meeting time 7PM – 9PM.
  • Pleasant Street “Park”  Deb Dagwan to report –
    • Deb D provided update on the plans for Pleasant Street Park. There are grant monies available, and there is a public meeting on the request to fund from the Town Council on March 20th. GM Dept said they would hold additional meetings with the area residents to finalize the plans.
    • We need to stay on top of this to be aware of what the final plan will look like.
  • Nominating Committee Meeting-
    • Next meeting at Tony’s house, 3//19/14 t 10 AM
    • If anyone has some one they want the committee to consider for nomination, please get their name to Bill before Wed., 4/1/14
  • By-Laws Committee Meeting –combined with nomination meeting.
  • Annual Meeting – proposed date 5/27/14 – Bill needs to confirm with Ed MacKay to see if he secured the HYCC for the location as we did last year. Some topics to consider:
    • Provide a recap of our events in the past year
    • Police Chief  presenting their department operations, Street Crime Unit, Homeless Main St Initiative
    • Rick Presby – HAC, or proposed Homeless Day Care center.
    • Need to finalize the meeting and speakers at April Board meeting.